Re: [A/S] solar panels

Max,
  When I got my first solar panel, I mounted it on an 'A' frame and
deployed it when camped. I did a bit of experimenting at home and found
that it does make a big difference when the panel is pointed directly at
the Sun. Some folks even make adjustable brackets so they can 'aim'
their panels.

However, most people simply add another panel(s) and figure that things
will average out, as you say. I found that my panels will do right at 4
amps when the Sun is high in the sky; installing the pair on the top of
the trailer gives me a maximum of 6 amps total because both are never at
optimum simultaneously.

However, I couldn't be happier with the performance. I've considered
adding a couple more panels, but frankly don't need the electricity. My
batteries are fully charged by 1:00 or 2:00 PM most days.

You're right about the controller/regulator. Only the smallest panels
don't require one. You want panels with 36 cells, which gives 18 or 19
volts. This "overhead" makes up for wire loss, etc., but makes a
controller mandatory. The SolarBoost series of controllers actually uses
this overhead to make useable power, often elminating the need for an
additional panel.

                         <<Jim>>