Re: [A/S] solar panels

Dick,
The size of the cells are around 4" in diameter.
There total output depends on whether you wire them for voltage or
current.
 Just like a battery, you can wire them either way.
I used the single-crystaline type as opposed to the thin-film type
because they put out much more power.
 The highest output cells go into satellites and are know a tri-layer
cells but one cannot buy them for a decent price yet. They are over twice
as strong as any other cells and that means the panel could be less than
half the size for a given output.

The number of cells in each panel depend on how much room you have. I
always make the panel as large as the mounting area lets me.
You could use Plexiglass but I did not for two reasons; Plexi costs much
more than glass and I feel that the Plexi will cloud up soon compared to
glass due to UV radiation. This would lower the output.
If you desire you could just get tempered glass like I did and it is
rated to handle a 1 1/2" hale stone.

 Aluminum makes a good backing for the panel as it has the same thermal
properties as the frame and will expand and contract a similar amount
making for a better long term seal.

When you seal the frame do not use a cheap caulk that will harden with
time and ruin your seal. This will make your panel junk as any water
inside will destroy the cells.
Vulcum works great and comes in the right color too.

You can ask for a diode at Radio Shack. Just be sure to wire it with the
arrow pointing toward the battery.
As for the rating of the diode just get one that will handle three times
the current you expect to put out. I would go for a 7 amp rating.
I put two side by side and wired them with a Y on the input and output so
if one went out the panel would still work.

I use a $7 controller I got from a surplus electronics company. I use one
on each panel. Pick up an electronics magazine at the bookstore and you
will find a few of these companies. A web search would probably work as
well. You can type in solar cells in eBay's search box and come up with
one on the cheap.

I hope this helps and feel free to write back if this makes anymore
questions arise.
Mike Kent