RE: [A/S] Refinishing Wood Cabinets Inside

The finish on 1957 cabinets was a natural finish semi-gloss catalyzed
lacquer. From the successfully restored examples at rallies, it appears
the most recommended method is to strip the old finish using a chemical
stripper, repair and replace all the damaged sections, and then spray a
heavy-bodied sanding sealer to fill the now open pores, followed by 2-3
coats of satin or semi-gloss lacquer (your choice - try a spray can
test first on some scrap - the spray cans are only $3.59 ea).

It is a rather easy and fun process. You can apply the lacquer with a
standard paint sprayer - even the inexpensive ones from Harbor Freight.
 A good source of lacquer is http://www.mohawk-finishing.com.  I
recommend the satin Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer reduced with the Lacquer
Reducer 2255. For those of you in high humidity areas, I'd use the
blush retardant too.

This is also a great place to get danish oils for the '60's cabinets,
stripper and stripper wash that works great on both the cabinets and
the outside clear coat, plus other wood finishing supplies.  I have
used them for almost 15 years now.

Best of luck,
RJ
'57 Flying Cloud