Re: [A/S] going to buy truck need info

I will offer what I can, since I recently went through the same exercise.

I bought a new, 1999, 27 ft. Safari a couple of years ago.  One reason I went
with the Safari was that from the information I had on my truck (1995, K1500,
Z-71, 5.7L, 3.42 rear end, GMC) it should be able to pull the truck.  It did
a good job here in the East, but on a trip west last summer, I soon realized
that it didn't have the capacity to pull the trailer in the higher
elevations.  I ordered a GMC, 2500HD, 8.1L with the Allison transmission.
After three months, I was still waiting on the truck to be built.  During
that time, I read more on engines from GM and decided that I really should
have the new Duramax diesel with the Allison.  My dealer allowed me to cancel
my order and he found me a truck that met my specifications on another
dealers lot.  I haven't towed with it yet, but have taken it to FL and back.
On road mileage is great.  I made the decision to switch from the 8.1L to the
diesel because the diesel has more torque and the maximum torque is available
at the RPM range that I normally travel in.  Also, the fuel mileage is much
better on the diesel, but presently diesel is more expensive than gas.

As to the maximum trailer for you, this will have to be a personal choice.
The Duramax or the 8.1L should pull any of the Airstreams on the market.  If
you are going to spend a lot of time on the road, a shorter trailer has
advantages for getting around camping areas and service stations.  If you are
going to spend most of your time at a fixed location, a longer trailer has
its advantages.  I feel that our 27 ft. unit is a good compromise.  We live
in it full time in the winter and travel extensively in it during the summer.

If you are just starting in trailering, you will need:
1) A hitch (this is the part that will fit in the receiver at the back of the
truck, if you get the trailering package).  I don't use a Hensley hitch, but
many on this list "swear by it".  It is reported that the trailer is much
more stable with a Hensley.  It is reported that it eliminates all signs of
"fishtailing" while being passed by a tractor trailer while on the road.
2) You will need a break controller to apply the trailer brakes from the tow
vehicle.  Try this link for the Ultima 2020 Brake Controller:
http://srd.yahoo.com/srst/2093526/Jordan+Research+/1/9/*http://www.jordanbrake

.com/  Many on this list like this controller and it is the controller I plan
on installing before I hook up the trailer in the spring.
3) You will need various items to hook up the Airstream for services (water,
sewer, and electricity).  The dealer can steer you in the right direction.
4) You will need towing mirrors.  Again, Hensley has an excellent strap-on
mirror.
5) You will need a WBCCI membership card. ;-)  This is not absolutely
necessary, but you should give it a try.

Sam
WBCCI 12557