[A/S] The hard way to learn about electric brakes, volume 1

Hello from a new Airstreamer, Nick Crowhurst. My wife and I are from
England, but we spend part of the winters in the wonderful USA to be
with our son and his family. On our first visit we saw a beautiful
silver apparition travelling on I95. "What", I said out loud, "is
that beautiful beast?". We had never before seen an Airstream. It
was love at first sight. To those who appreciate Pirsig's "Zen and
the art of motorcycle maintenance", no explanation is necessary.
Quality, just quality. We did our research, saved our pennies, and
now own a beautiful 1988 Excella 25 ft and a Dodge Cummins 250 long
bed quad cab. We have spent the last two vacations bringing the
trailer up to standard, and the purpose of this posting is to
describe our adventures with electric brakes, in the hopes that some
other newbies might benefit from our experiences. The electric
brakes did not function at all, and the following steps were
necessary to correct that:-
1. We realized we had to work from the front of the rig, back
towards the brakes.The new electric controller was found to be
defective, and no current was arriving at the 9 way socket at the
rear of the pick-up. The controller was exchanged under warranty,
but I had to buy another new one while the orignal was travelling in
the mail. We only had a limited vacation. Our local Airstream dealer
had a test machine to show that the second new controller delivered
the correct amps at the correct voltage. Very useful, as my digital
multimeter can't handle the high amps.
2. There was still no sign of life from the brakes, so the next
check was the 9 way connector on the trailer hitch. We dismantled
the socket, and found that the blue brake wire had detached from its
screw connector, and was shorting across to the white ground, with
obvious scorch marks. This was corrected, and optimism reigned in
the camp when buzzing sounds could be heard from the brakes.
3. However, the buzzing would not stop, and the brakes were locked
on. We read the manual, and realized that the breakaway switch must
be operating, even though we had fitted a new switch as part of the
renovation. The red wire to the switch is the live feed from the
battery, and the blue is the return to the brakes. These two wires
take their own lonely route back to the brakes via the inside of the
main chassis members. When we waggled the two wires, the brakes
unlocked. If we waggled them again, the brakes came on. We thus had
a short between the two wires in a totally inaccessible place, and
the wires would not pull through. We had to replace the wires by a
new route. We removed the interior lounge completely, drilled out
the rivets on the internal panelling to the left of the 12 volt
distribution panel, and after several hours work, found the ends of
the breakaway wires. We cut these, connected new wires, and routed
these alongside the main 9 way harness. This involved using a stiff
wire to thread through the double floor. 5 hours later, the interior
was restored, and the brakes responded properly to the controller,
and morale was high in the camp!
4. BUT. The brakes locked on, and would not release, even though the
ammeter showed no current to the magnets, the tow vehicle was
disconnected and the batteery kill switch was off. This was clearly
mechanical. We had earlier fitted new brake shoes and magnets and
wheel bearings as part of our restoration. The next bit was the
nightmare, and readers of delicate disposition should skip this bit!
I spent FOUR DAYS repeatedly stripping and re-building the wheels. I
made 4 visits (320 miles) to the Airstream dealer (Sanders at
Alachua, FL) who had supplied the parts, including taking a complete
backplate assembly to the mechanics. The problem was obvious. The
actuating arm would jam against the metal brake shoe when attempting
to release. The rub marks were visible. I tried everything I could
think of. Lithium grease, adjusting tighter and looser. I was
stumped, the dealer was stumped. In despair, I purchased 4 complete
back plate and brake assemblies, fitted them, and now the brakes
work!! Total spend about $600 dollars plus travelling, plus labour,
and a vacation spent lying in a field full of fire-ants. I e-mailed
Dexter to find out if there was any explanation. There reply was:

 "Dexter's 10 x 1-1/2" electric brakes went through a design change
right around 1988. It is likely that your 1988 model trailer was
built originally with the older style. The magnets and magnet
actuating lever arms are different and our kit catalog does a poor
job of explaining it well. The older style brake would have used K71-
057-00 magnets and K71-325-00 and K71-326-000 lever arms. The newer
style brakes use K71-177-00 magnets with the K71-327-00 and K72-328-
00 lever arms.

Since you have completely replaced the complete brake assemblies you
have already solved your problem."

I have written to the Airstream dealer to show this reply, in the
hope that this can be avoided in the future. We now have a trailer
with working electric brakes, and after 2 years, we intend to hit
the road for a one mile test run. Wish us luck! Many thanks, Hunter,
for all your work on this excellent list. From Nick Crowhurst.