[A/S] Winter Camping Redux

Dear A/S Vets:

I know this is a topic that has been much discussed over the years
but this newbie needs some refreshing. I have visited Tom Patterson's
archives and read sage advice and ditto for these archives. But, I
need "trip-specific" help, so hopefully you guys won't mind, once
again, sharing your knowledge on this topic. Here goes...

I have a 27' 1975 Overlander. I plan to drive from Los Angeles to
Salt Lake in February for the Olympics. The folks at the campground
where we're staying have sent "helpful hints" for the trip up and the
stay. First, they suggest winterizing the water system for the trip
given wind chill issues and all.

1. Is this step really necessary since we won't hit freezing temps
until after we leave Las Vegas and that means we're only 6 or so
hours from SLC? Could we leave furnace on during trip (at minimum
temp) and protect against this quick freeze? Will residual moisture
in the holding tanks also be protected?

I hate the idea of having to de-winterizing and cleaning the water
system once we're at the campground in what should be quite cold
conditions.

2. Once there, we want to insure against frozen pipes. I understand
from my owner's manual and from postings that furnace air is
circulated around the tanks and critical exterior pipe areas. True?
Effective in really cold temps? (possibly as low as minus 10-20 F)

I have a heater tape wrapped around the shore water inlet and sewer
outlet junctions inside the rear compartment. Combined with the
heater tape on the inlet hose and the "supposed" furnace air
circulation, would we be all right in camp (assuming we leave furnace
on at all times though turned down during day when we're away). I
know about leaving the under-sink compartment open to circulate air
around pump and pipes. Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Unrelated to freezing water issues but adjacent to staying
warm...should we put the AC cover on while in camp or seal the vent
from the inside or both? How do many of you get that dad-gum cover on
the AC? Even with a ladder (which I don't plan on carrying with me)
it still looks out-of-reach without crawling out on the roof (which
seems to me to be the perfect way to crumple in my roof).

Finally, pulling in snow...I'm hopeful that Utah's excellent road
maintenance people will keep the freeways clear and open and that we
don't caught in a strom while traveling. But, in case we do, any
driving tips for pulling a trailer (other than slow down and be
careful)? I understand that if the trailer were to slide behind me
that I should apply the trailer brakes manually from the truck to
pull it back in line. True?

Forgive the newbie questions but help! I want to have a great camping
experience in Salt Lake and not be miserable.

Thanks and have a happy holiday.

Jim and Patti
'75 Overlander 27'
'02 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 350ci