Re: [A/S] Proper axle ratio

Joy, we will have to keep in touch and compare notes.  I have just purchased
a 2500HD, GMC, Duramax/Allison for a tow vehicle.  Only have about 1600 miles
and have not towed.  I already had the trailer in FL before I picked up the
new truck.  Won't get to hook the trailer on until Spring.  Your '69 Safari
should not be a load at all for your truck.  I tow a 1999 27 ft. Safari.  It
was too much for my 5.7L, 1995, 4 WD, 1/2 ton pick-up, 3.73 rear-end.  It did
OK in the mid-west, but it ran out of "steam" quickly in the higher elevation
hills out west.

On the torque curve, my engine develops maximum torque at 1800 RPM.  Crusing
at 70 MPH, the engine is turning just over 2000 RPM.  My gearing is also
3.73.  The cruse speed falls in a nice place on the torque curve.

Your mileage is GREAT.  On our trip to FL, I was still breaking the engine
in, so I didn't drive very fast.  I averaged 20.59 MPG for the trip.

What size is your fuel tank(s).  Mine is only 34 gal.  I think that is much
too small for a tow vehicle.

Sam
WBCCI 12557