Re: [A/S] Mud Flaps

Hi Chuck,

There are more answers to that question that one might imagine. Give it more
thought than you think it needs, then be decisive in what you do.

Background:

During our Alaskan trip (close to 3 months in AK), I did my usual thing and
experimented. First with a fat flap behind the rear wheels, then with a
second flap (the size common on 18 wheelers) just forward of the rear
bumper. That combination did the trick for 90% of the stones.

The other 10% of sharp stones hitting our Airstream were thrown up by trucks
coming toward us from the opposite direction.  Although the highway is
technically considered "all macadam," there are frost heaves after each
Winter season.

This means that each Spring there are detours constructed around the frost
heaves. Some of those detours can be 10 miles long. The bed material for the
detours is small stone (very sharp and often flat). Some of the stones would
make excellent ammunition for "skipping stones on a lake." When I realized
that, I installed clear plastic rug runner over all street side windows
(duct tape only on the window frame, not on the aluminum skin).

All street side windows survived those three months right up until the last
day when rain filled one of the plastic rug runner panels. Instead of
cleaning and reattaching it, I pulled it off and went without. That day, a
stone broke that window. That was my own fault, I knew better.

I eventually found a replacement at a discontinued Airstream dealership in
New Jersey (Ron & Linda Aimee's place).  This one flub resulted in a full
press search for three months, untold phone calls around the country and
finally $300 for the new window (including installation).

In spite of both mud flaps hanging so the trajectory of rocks from the rear
wheels didn't hit the lower part of the Airstream, this didn't account for
stones tossed by oncoming trucks hitting the upper front street side of the
Airstream.

My mistake was in deciding those stones would only amount to a little
"character" and nothing more. WRONG! The front was a mess and the stone
shield had holes in it. The upside was no broken windows in the front.

After that trip, we fell into an unexpected opportunity to trade our '69 27'
Airstream for one with a floor plan we really, really wanted ('77 31' side
couch w/ front credenza). The fact that it, too had been to Alaska and had
character marks did not dissuade us from buying it. I had already figured
out how to deal with this cosmetic detail.

If you ever see our Airstream, you'll notice I've modified the front skin to
a "mustache" appearance with gray paint and sand. It's been "refreshed" by
me several times (easy to do in an hour).

Bottom line for us - two sets of mud flaps (staggered) took care of most
stones when traveling on macadam.  But, whatever you do, test it thoroughly
and then tell us about it, okay?

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net

PS - None of our gas lines below the belly pan were punctured. They were
covered with rubber (discarded green garden hose with cable ties holding
them in place) which protected the copper tubing.