Re: [A/S] Proper axle ratio

I got the 02 PS diesel Quad 4X4 with the 3.73 rear.  Haven't towed lick as
my Safari isn't ready yet.  I have towed a 3000# utility trailer.  I got an
idea that it would keep me out of OD most of the time in hilly terrain and
resulted in 16.5 mpg.  However, my mileage without towing is super!  Ranges
from 16.5 to 22.5.  The high mileage comes from the under 60 mph of the
local
highway.  When I get to the super slab and push it to 75, the mileage drops
to 16.5 or there abouts.  With shopping around, I'm getting diesel for
$1.10.  Some gasoline is now under $.90 a gallon.

The ride is harsh with the super duty suspension and I tried a 6" drop for
the Hensley.  Have to wait for a while to get it right.  The tongue weight
might smooth out the ride.  Really HATE the rear view mirror as it distorts
the view so badly.  The towing mirrors are just GREAT.

Certainly, the 4.1 would put the gearing in the third gear for the 3.73 of
the F250.  Did you consider the F350 as the 4.1 is standard?  I couldn't
handle the 171 or so wheel base and the full city block "U" turns.  It's bad
enough with the 158 of the F250.

I'll wait for a bit on the exhaust brake as the owners manual wasn't too
high on the after market addition.  Possibly when I start towing, I'll
decide I need the 4.1 rear, but for now I'm really satisfied.

                                            '69 Safari, Joy