Re: [A/S] 79 Safari TV Antenna hookup

Hi Jim,

Guess I haven't been up to speed with this thread, but I thought I'd toss my
two cents into the discussion.  First, let me say that I've only had my '69
Safari in two campgrounds since I purchased it and didn't use the TV for
either.  I did use the TV in my conversion van by hooking up the cable TV
that's available in each campground during several cross country trips.  In
the city, the roof top antennae is OK, but that's not where I do most of my
camping.

What I'm saying is that I don't see much use for the crank up TV antennae
that comes with vintage Airstreams.  Rather than trying to convert the 300
ohm flat antennae wiring to modern coax (requires an inline transformer),
why not just run a new coax into the trailer through the aft convenience
hatch or something like that and use the campground cable.   Besides, I
haven't seen a twin lead TV antennae connection on a TV for about 15 years.
I've yet to check the wiring that hooks my outside TV antennae, but I'm sure
that the twin flat wire is deteriorated and needs to be replaced.  May be a
major undertaking, but it will need to be done.

Another expensive alternative is to haul a "direct TV" dish or like system
with you and get the programming you want (I plan to do this and use a
tripod for the antennae).  A full blown system will cost about $80 a month,
is simple to aim if there aren't trees in the line of sight, and you get
what you want.  Certainly the $2 typical per night at most camp grounds
wouldn't take long to catch up with the satellite cost and you wouldn't have
much choice in programming.  However, just hooking the coax to the trailer
is pretty easy .  .  .

If I could afford the antennae, I'd certainly replace the old TV antennae
with a modern small dish and a flat screen TV inside! :)  Unfortunately I
have a beer budget!

                                             '69 Safari, Joy