Re: [A/S] Univolt & Fuses Question

Hi Jim,

I completed the installation of the Intelli Power and Charge Wizard a month
or so ago as a replacement for the Univolt in my '69 Safari.  Agreed that
the '68 and 69 along with the different lengths has a profound affect on the
wiring location and fuses, but here's my 2 cents.

The DC fuse panel in the rear was left without modification.  The Intelli
Power had three DC in/outputs, Red (hot), white (neutral), and a ground lug.
I ran a new green #8 wire to the frame.  The Intelli Power has two lugs
(+,-) and a ground lug.  I DID NOT INSTALL TWO NEGATIVE LINES TO THE
NEGATIVE LUG OF THE INTELLI POWER (meaning one to a frame ground and one to
the distribution panel).  The additional wire from the grounding lug should
take care of this.  I installed a standard AC grounded receptacle powered
from the original AC line from the Main breaker.  The main breaker has a
frame grounding wire.  Plugged in the Intelli Power and all worked as
indicated in the installation instructions.  The DC has a 40 amp fuse in the
red (hot) lead and a 40 amp fuse in the battery negative, with additional
fuses down stream for other DC circuits.  The largest fuse in my panel is 40
amp, though the manual says that there's a 50 in the negative circuit?  Been
doing it's thing since installation without a bit of trouble!

Then, there's a lot to learn about DC electrics!

Possible that I should have installed a fuse between the Intelli Power and
the battery, but .  .  . Airstream didn't seem to worry about a short in the
original Univolt circuits.
Seems that any short between the Intelli Power and the fuse panel/battery is
too remote to consider.  Sort of like needing a fuse between the alternator
and the battery on a car?

Regards,

                                                '69 Safari, Joy