Re: [A/S] increasing gear ratio in tow vehicle

I had the same set up in a 96 Suburban.... only the 5.7 was the newer vortec
engine.

 <I've noticed on hills and grades I have a hard time.  On a long,
 medium grade in PA I had the accelerator to the floor, and could only
 reach 55 mph.  I asked the dealership about my rear end gear ration--
 it's 3.43.  I think that is too small.  I'm worried about crossing
 the Rockies with this setup--I don't like to worry!>

Again, mine was also the 3:43 gear ratio.

 <My question--can I just buy a new gearset and have my mechanic put it
 in?  I can buy a 3.73 or a 4.10 rear end gear for about $200 online.
 If I do this, do I have to change anything else--the differential,
 for example?  Does one thing lead to another?  I'd like to keep this
 van as my tow vehicle, but if it's simply the wrong thing and I've
 made a mistake, then I'm willing to cut my losses and buy something
 else.>

I cut my losses and bought a diesel puller..... never regretted it when I
criss crossed the Rockies last summer..

If you do change out the rear end, don't forget the odometer.

I don't think you'll be happy with the van even if you do change it.....
you'll get a real gas hog with the 4:10.

Hunter