Re: [A/S] Floor repair

At the risk of getting my foot in my rear end, I think I'll throw my
thoughts into the fray.

First, unless the frame is severely compromised with rust, you should not
remove the shell from the frame.

The rear floor rot is serious and takes some effort to correct.  I chose to
make a special support bracket that runs from the rear cross member to the
cross member ahead of the holding tank.  To clear the holding tank, etc. the
brace actually splits the floor.  The curb and street side sections are
forced under the monocoque.  I chose to split the inner skin about 8 inches
above the floor so I could get at the mired of fasteners that must be
removed and reinstalled.  Worked just fine for me.

The end cross member is a very difficult task.  If you want, I'll send you a
sketch of my attachments and how I replaced the structure.  Harvey Barlow
has the same unit that you have and did this all without removing structure.
I can do some welding and replaced structure as needed to accomplish the
floor repair and special brace.

With the extensive rot you found, I must presume that the holding tank
housing and support structure is also compromised and must be restored?

I think the critical decisions are: 1) remove the belly pan where work is to
be done.  2) remove the inner skin either partially or split it as I did.

I would replace the inner skin differently if I do this again, but it
allowed access to critical fasteners and the structure is as sound as the
original.

Lastly, please keep in mind that the fore and aft "L" steel that attaches
the skin to the frame is very difficult to remove/replace.  The front will
involve drilling out many rivets (two rows across the front with about 1
inch spacing).  Realignment for the assembly is possible, but I assume it's
near impossible.  You mentioned that you have a lot of time.  I planned on
about 6 months for the restoration.  I find that a year and a half is barely
adequate.

Hopefully I'll be able to set up a website so I can share pictures of my
project.  For now, I have available pictures that you might be interested in
if your request is specific.

Unfortunately, I took off on my own before I really understood the value of
this list and the VAClist.  Live and learn - and as Harvey Barlow says, WORK
SMART!  Sharing experiences with Harvey and others associated with Airstream
Dreams saved me many hours of frustration.

Regards,

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy