Re: [A/S] Digest Number 563

Jack:

When you measure the 'volts available', is that measured under load (the
trailer plugged in and the AC running), or just open circuit?  Open
circuit measurement of voltage is a complete waste of time; it
means absolutely nothing.  You must measure under load.

How long of a cable are you using?  Are you extending the built in A/S
cable, and if so, with what gauge of cable?

I will say, however, that your current reading of just less than 15 amps
is right where it should be.  It really makes me want to look for air
flow or refrigeration problems.

I assume you have cleaned the fins in both the evaporator (inside) and
condensing unit (outside), and that air flow is good.

I would look for, in order:

Low voltage under load
Dust buildup in coils  (not an issue, I assume)
Slipping fan blades
Fan motor running too slow (you ARE making these measurements on HIGH
FAN, right?)
Low refrigerant level
Clogged filter/dryer
Debris in the air conditioner shroud.