[A/S] Water Filters

Hi everybody.  Time for a new topic...at least for me.

Do any of you use water filters for drinking purposes?
 My Safari did not include an A/S supplied filter so
we looked at everything from units that attach to the
hose (filtering all incoming water) to pitcher type
units.  Currently we tend to bring along a case of
bottled water on long trips, and about 10 bottles on
weekends.

We wanted a filter mainly because of nasty tasting
water at some campgrounds and to reduce the need to
carry the bottled water.  The PUR model I bought is
certified to reduce these Contaminants*
microorganisms: cryptosporidium and giardia.
Reduces: lead chlorine, mercury,lindane (a pesticide),
atrazine (a herbicide), asbestos, and sediment.

We settled on a PUR CT-5000 which can either be wall
mounted or sits on the countertop.  It has a special
downspout fitting that when activated directs water
from the downspout to the unit and back to a small
discharge spout directly behind the main faucet
outlet.
I chose this unit since my heart is not into opening
up plumbing or drilling holes in the countertop for an
undersink model at this point.

Have any of you used this model, or have any other
thoughts regarding filtering of water?  I'm somewhat
curious as to what happens when the unit is not
actively being used between our monthly trips.

It's not too late for me to change my mind and return
it at this point.  So if you have any negative issues
to tell me please do.

Regards,

Jack