Re: [A/S] trailer hitches/Speed Limits

I have always wondered as to what would be the outcome
of an emergency maneuver with a TT in tow.  I did do a
couple with my Hi-Lo over the course of 14 years, but
you really can't use this trailer a benchmark of how a
full sized unit will handle.

One thing I have done over the years is to avoid
higher speeds when towing (65 mph or lower) and to
keep my distance from the traffic in front of me.  I
do pay the price sometimes with longer towing times
but once you push the speed up, your chances of
recovery in an emergency situation go down.

My favorite state to tow in (based on truck traffic)
is Illinois.  While trucks,RV's and towables are
limited to 55 mph, it seems like fewer semi's violate
that limit.  Compare that to my home state of
Missouri, where the 70 mph limit is the exception for
most semi's.  I think maybe it has something to do
with the penalty for speeding.

In Missouri the trucker's fine for speeding is a slap
on the wrist compared to the time they make up in
crossing the state.  I think the Missouri Auto Club
has polled its membership for more than 20 years as to
their member's concerns.  I think big truck speed has
been number 1 or 2 on the list.  Unfortunately our
legislature is too busy worrying about same sex
marriages than attack what I consider a real problem.

<<Off soap box mode>>

A good hitch has a big impact upon your comfort and
safety in towing.  You also can help yourself by
watching your speed and watching those mirrors for the
upcoming traffic.  My father used to preach defensive
driving to me and I think that's the attitude you need
to take every time you are on the road....especially
pulling your A/S.