Re: [A/S] Grand Cherokee and Safari

I am not qualified to give towing advice however I do have some first
hand experience towing with a Grand Cherokee. A dealer sold us a 26
ft Sunline Trailer to tow with our then new '95 Grand Cherokee V8.
The trailer weighed about 5500 lbs I think. He also sold us a EaZ
Lift weight distributing hitch with no sway control. The Jeep had
plenty of power to go forward but the first time that we hit the
Interstate with this rig and was passed by an 18 wheeler, I nearly
soiled my underwear. Thank goodness that somebody had told me that if
the trailer started to sway, to hit the trailer brakes which I did.
From then on, I drove with one hand on the wheel and the other on the
brake controller. Not fun! While we were considering trading the rig
for a motorhome, I came across an ad for the Hensley Arrow hitch. It
was and still is gawdawfully expensive but since it had a garuntee,
we ordered one for a trial. After getting the Hensley, the Cherokee
became a great tow vehicle. Passing trucks and cross winds became a
non issue. We later traded the Sunline for an Award 30 footer which
was also a breeze to tow with the Jeep and the Hensley. We drove the
Grand Cherokee for 54,000 miles (about 7500 of it towing) and it was
never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Regards,
Lee