[A/S] Final word on Vulkem choices

There has been some confusion lately regarding which type of Vulkem
to use on the repair of Airstream trailers.  Several list members
contacted me off-list to ask my opinion or offer their own
experiences.  My initial response to this question was that I would
speak with Airstream while I attended the International Rally in
Sioux Falls and get back to the group before weighing in.  I have now
had the opportunity to speak with Airstream and directly with Tremco
Sealants, the manufacturer of Vulkem.

Vulkem 116 is the old standard.  Airstream restorers have been using
it for years.  Vulkem 116 is IDENTICAL to Vulkem 616.  The numbering
system is used by Tremco as a way to track sales only.  116 is sold
through building trade suppliers.  616 is sold through industrial
suppliers, like those who sell to trailer manufacturers.  They are
both "textured."  Anyone who has used 116/616 will know what this
means.  It isn't a big deal, but you may notice the difference in the
finished look if you look closely.

Vulkem 631 is IDENTICAL to 116/616 except it comes in different
colors.  The Tremco representative said the name change is done for
marketing reasons only.

Airstream no longer uses 116/616/631 in the production of new
trailers in places where it will show because of the texture.  They
still use it between panels before riveting them together.  They are
now using Sikaflex 221 in areas around vents, hatches and windows
where it will show because it is non-textured.  It is also more
expensive and even more difficult to find than Vulkem.  Airstream was
selling tubes of Vulkem labeled 116/616 at the International Rally
for $7.29 each.  They were selling Sikaflex-221 for $8.15 each.

Tremco does not recommend Vulkem 116/616/631 for the restoration of
old Airstreams.  Instead, they recommend Vulkem 636.  Vulkem 636,
like 116/616/631 is a premium slow-cure polyurethane sealant.
Slow-curing is important because the slower the cure, the higher the
ratio of solvent to solids.  The solvents are useful to cut through
any oil/grease that may be on the skin of the trailer.  This gives
better adhesion.  Fast-cure sealants like TremPro 650 (another
similar product) are used in assembly-line production where material
conditions are controlled and speed is important.  Also, slower
curing sealants are generally stronger.

Besides a slightly slower cure than 116/616/631, 636 has the singular
advantage of being non-textured.  If you see a product called Vulkem
626, you should know it is identical to 636 except that it is
textured.  Vulkem 636 is ideal for Airstream restoration.

I now quote from Tremco descriptions of 636:  "Vulkem 636 is
specially designed for use in the joints of vehicles such as trucks,
containers, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, rail cars and
similar items where the joints are subjected to stress and vibration
as well as expansion and contraction...Once cured, Vulkem 626/636
exhibits tenacious adhesion and has the ability to be subjected to
stress and vibration as well as expansion and contraction within a
joint... Vulkem 626/636 is especially effective in holding roof
sheets in place against normal load vibration and air forces...Rivets
may be set through the uncured Vulkem 626/636, which will act as a
sealer."

I hope this information has been helpful in clearing up the
confusion.  We expect to carry Vulkem 636 at our store in the future,
but will not do so until we can get it at a price comparable to
116/616/631.  Until that time, I will continue to use 116 on my 1967
Caravel, knowing Vulkem 116 has logged millions of miles on thousands
of Airstreams over many years.

Steve Hingtgen
http://www.AirstreamDreams.com