Re: [A/S] Refrigerator Removal, Burping, and Probable Replacement

George,

I was told by an experienced Airstream service company owner that the
freezer compartment must be at 0 degrees and the lower compartment will be
30 degrees warmer.  I know essentially nothing about ammonia absorption
refrigerators so I'm only repeating what I was told.

My refrig cooled but not adequately.  The previous owner of the trailer, an
old friend, had installed what he called a "cool pack" several years ago.
The first time I had the trailer out it seemed to work normally but after a
week or so on the road I found it was warm.  I purchased a cheap thermometer
at Wal-Mart and found that freezer temp was 10 and the box was around 40.  A
repair tech using a sophisticated electronic hand held temp sensor measured
it at 12 degrees in the freezer and 48 in the box.

Burping is a controversial procedure touted by some and rejected by others.
It involves turning the fridge upside down for a 24 hour period to allow
gravity to cause the ammonia refrigerant mixture to flow into the normally
upper portion of the cooling coils.  The procedure is supposed to 1) allow
the mixture to remove minor blockages in the coils or, 2) allow the
refrigerant to reconstitute or mix again.  I am frankly skeptical because I
don't see how gravity flowed coolant mixture would be able to remove
blockage caused by corrosion in the cooling tube.  Chris Bryant, who writes
on the list, is a professional RV repair shop owner.  He referred me to his
new troubleshooting web site last evening.  His guide says burping is
unlikely to work on any refrig manufactured since the early '80s because of
improved design.  Older designs were apparently more susceptible to problems
caused by operating in any but perfectly level condition.

Since my refrig had to be removed anyway I see no harm in trying to burp it.
I'll right it today and attach power for 24 hours.  Tomorrow morning I'll
know whether burping has accomplished anything.  I'm planning a journey to
Camping World to pick up a new one.

Harvey