Re: [A/S] Boondocking in an Airstream

From what I've seen in the classifieds so far, it seems that the '74 Sovereign
and later does have a rear bed floor plan.  Those advertised usually have rear
twin beds, though I've seen one or two with rear double.  I can't say how roomy
they are, and whether these are original or not, is another question.

> If you plan to navigate narrow, twisting, Forest Service trails, with
> creek bed crossings, a smaller trailer would probably better meet your
> needs.

That's what I was afraid of.  I think for the most part we'll simply try to
stick to unimproved roads. We'll probably leave the trailer in a clearing or
pullout and explore the rougher roads with just the truck, a backpack, and a
tent.  Though, I'm not looking forward to that one time when we find that a
road becomes impassible, and we have to back a 31' trailer out of a rough
spot.  That's one adventure I'd rather avoid.

We live in the west, and plan to travel mountain roads.  So dirt roads, over
steep inclines, will probably be the norm.  I really don't want to wear or tear
holes in the belly pan either, so it looks like the 31' is not an option.

> An excellent compromise range of lengths for a full-timing couple
> would be a 22' Safari to a 27'.

We fit into the former category, and are quite comfortable with the bare
essentials.  We have a laptop comptuer, a small camera, a few good books, a few
days worth of clothes, and that's about it.
The largest item is probably our dog, he's a lab/rot mix and weighs over 100
pounds.  So, really, there are three of us, four if you count the cat. :)  We'd
love to go look and walk around inside of an A/S, but it doesn't seem like there
are very many older ones here in New Mexico.  Does anyone know of a dealer
between Taos and Albuquerque, NM where we could take a look at trailers ranging
in the 22' to 27' size?  How about in the Phoenix, AZ area?  I'll be going to
Phoenix soon, and may have time to do a bit of window shopping while there.

> Keep in mind that you can leave off-season clothing and specialized
> items in storage

Good idea, I plan to put everything I can't sell on eBay into storage, and we'll
just leave those things next to the door. :)

> There is an Airstream available for you that will satisfy your needs.  Your
> task is simply to make a choice that will please both of you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Harvey, and thank you so much for your
advice and opinions, it helps a lot.

-Ted