[A/S] Re: GFI Resolution/CAUTION!

Joy,
The "better" radio and TV sets used to have an isolation transformer
in the AC power cord circuit.
The radio or TV that you describe has what is known as a "hot"
chassis.  The older sets did have a metal chassis, the common wire of
the AC cord connected to the chassis.  The plastic or wooden case was
supposed to insulate it.  If the polarity was correct there was no
problem.  If the AC plug was inserted backwards the chassis was
"floating" with 120 vac on it but the case, and plastic knobs, kept
you from getting across it.
Nearly all TV's and radios now are "hot" chassis.  No chassis, but a
thin printed circuit board inside the plastic case, but no isolation
transformer.  Most repairmen plug them into an isolation transformer
for safety when working on them.
I plug my Excella into a GFCI outlet on the outside of my garage and
use a 9" Sylvania "hot" chassis set in it.  Neither that GFCI or the
one in the coach have tripped out.

Don