Re: [A/S] GFI problem

Jack,

The whole object of a GFI (or more accurately GFCI; ground fault
circuit
interrupter) is to give safety protection on two wire appliances or
circuits where no grounding conductor (third prong) is provided.  The
internals of the GFI compare current "outbound" on the hot leg to
return
current on the neutral (grounded) conductor.  If the two readings vary
by more than approximately 2 milliamperes (that is 2/1000s of an amp)
the circuit is tripped.  The rational is of course that if the current
isn't coming back on the neutral, it has to be going somewhere else,
where it just might be inducing inadvertent acrobatics in Mr or Mrs
Canavera or one of the little Jacks.  Not a happy circumstance.

I would take the new TV and plug it direct into garage outlet.  I
assume
that it has a modern polarized cord cap (plug end) and cannot be
inserted backwards into receptacle.  Then start adding more "pieces"
of
your original setup e.g.. extension cord, trailer, different outlet in
trailer, etc. until I could isolate the one "piece" of the chain that
tripped the GFI.  I would also recommend that you have one of the neon
receptacle testers in your trailer at all times, and use it every time
you hook up to shore power.  Most home centers carry them and if
anything they have gotten less expensive since I bought my last one.
would get the one with a GFCI test button built in, only a couple of
dollars more, and good insurance.

I have never heard of one GFI in series with another causing any
problems, but I guess anything is possible.  It would be interesting
see which GFI tripped first if you get the tester, the one in the
house,
or the one in the trailer.

My gut feeling is that the neutral on the tv is bonded to the chassis
and the chassis is picking up a high resistance ground at the trailer.
Did you try it with/without the antenna connected?  Try isolating the
TV
from the trailer on a piece of insulating material, styrofoam or
cardboard box?  May give you the results you are looking for.

Just some things to look for.

Matt