[A/S] Shock mounts

Hi Bob!
Quick response, but unfortunately not the right one. If one looks at the
Airstream axle assembly, above the pivot point there is a flat plate
that rises behind the brake backing plate. Affixed to this plate, facing
the frame, is the upper stud mount for the shock eye. Now; the distance
between the end of the stud and the trailer frame is smaller than the
width of the shock eye, even turned in diferent directions. I was able
to wrench the old shocks off, being old, they did not fight too much
being twisted, but I don't want to destroy the new ones trying to force
them into a gap that's too small, hence the problem.
The obvious slution is to grind the old studs off, and re-drill the
holes and put new studs back, but I don't want to take the chance of
weakening the shock tower by heating the metal up with the grinding and
drilling.
--Rick