[A/S] Suburban help needed

Hi All,
I've just come back from looking at a 1988 Suburban 454...I've a couple of
questions, if you can help, please mail me off llist, as I know it's not
really pertinent to this list, it's just that I know someone out there will
be able to help, and I only want it to pull my Airstream with ;) Or if you
could point mein the direction of a mailing list...
1. What gearbox was used...it seem to be a 3-speed. Is it robust?

2. The gearbox would not "kick down". Any ideas/how complicated is it to
fix? (my partner is a mechanic, and well used to American vehicles, but we
are in the UK, and spares may be harder to find)

3.The engine appears to have originally been fuel injection, however, an
LPG (propane) conversion has been added becausegas (petrol) is so expensive
here, and the injection has been replaced with a carburettor (Rochester
Quadrijet), because, (so I'm told) you can't do a conversion to LPG/dual
fuel on a fuel injected engine..I don't know how true this is, but what do
I know?

4. I have to have a vehicle with a GVWR of over 7000lb due to the law in
this country..any other vehicles which fit into this category. My GMC
conversion van is only 6600lb.

Thanks all,
hope to be on the road soon,
Marie