[A/S] Re: Silver Motorhomes

Hi Todd,

Airstream began building aluminum motorhomes in the late 1970's and
continued to offer an aluminum model through model year 1996. From
the introduction to at least 1990, the aluminum body style changed
very little.  A new aluminum body style was introduced in the early
1990's (I think 91, because I've seen the classic style advertised as
a 1990 model year).  That new aluminum body style looked similar to
the current "low profile" model land yacht.

The plastic "Land Yacht" motorhome was introduced in the late 80's
(the earliest year I have seen advertised is model year 1989). The
new land yacht interiors looked similar to the classic MH interiors
of the same vintage.  According to the tour guide at the factory,
Airstream had to offer a competitively priced alternative to aluminum
to compete in the MH market. They had to offer slide-out options and
the like to get the volume.  The aluminum version was discontinued
due to low sales volumes.

Last year's spike in fuel cost has depressed the new motorhome
market.

Jim