Re: [A/S] Argosy Newbie

Hi J.L.,

I note in the one stop convenience compartment of my '69 Safari that there's
a thin metal strip in-line with the battery + line.  I haven't found any
reference in my owner's manual or the '72 service manual as to the function
of this metal strip.  It has a slot across the length of the strip with a
small bolt that can slide along the strip and it's attached to a gray wire.
The other gray wire in the cable is attached to one end of the metal strip.
I recall that my VOM used a short metal strip with the leads attached to the
ends of the strip to check the voltage or amperes drop across the metal
strip.

It's an assumption, but I believe that the metal strip and the adjustable
bolt in the thin metal strip is intended to adjust either the ampere meter
or the volt meter in the control panel.  If you  have a similar metal
strip in your convenience hatch or where your DC fuses are located, you can
change the position of the adjustable bolt and see if it changes the meter
readings.  Turn on a DC lamp and see what the ampere meter does.  The
voltage across the terminals should be reading the battery voltage and may
not be related to the thin metal strip.  My owner's manual says that
approximately 12-13 volts is fully charged, 11-12 volts is so-so, and 10-11
volts is nearly discharged.  If you know that the battery is new, fully
charged, then record the meter reading.  Considering the ampere discharge,
etc. you should be able to make a table that helps tell the condition of
your battery.  You could also check the voltage of the battery with an
accurate volt meter and compare it with the meter.  Just don't try to check
the voltages or amperes when the univolt is hooked up to the shore power.

I haven't tried this yet, but I intend to when I get further along in my
restoration.  Others on the list have stated that the control center gauges
are cute, but useless.  Rather, there are other meter/panel combinations
that will tell you the truth about the status of your battery.  I use a
cheap battery condition meter that plugs into a 12 volt receptacle in the
trailer.With an understanding of it's readings in relation to temperature,
it gives me adequate warning of the condition of my battery.

Hope this helps,

                                                   Joy