Re: [A/S] 1979 Airstream International info needed ASAP......PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

> This is a shot in the dark and I'm new to the group, but does anyone know
> anyone who is familiar with the Airstream International 1979 model? I have
> been searching for an Airstream for a very long time and have narrowed my
> search to the model listed above. Does anyone have any info? I would
> appreciate it ASAP as I will be making my final decision in the next 3 days.
> I've heard that there may be a problem with these models due to the location
> of the bathroom in the very rear of the trailer.

The concern involves the location of the gray holding tank on rear bath model
coaches. It applied in particular to 1973 Excella 500's and all 1974-1976 29-31'
rear bath coaches. The problem was the added weight of the water in the gray
tank exceeded the frame load capacity. If the coach saw much rough road travel
with both waste tanks full it could bend the frame. The problem was recognized
and cured by the 1976-77 model years. Should not be a problem for a 1979.

> Also the heating unit is
> out of service in the refrigerator meaning the only way it is operable is
> via gas. Is this a big problem and does anyone have any idea about the
> possible expense of the problem?

If you are sure the refer works well on gas, then fixing the electric side is
relatively simple. The old RM100's had three components in the electric system,
a switch, a thermostat, and the heater. The heater is the most common failure
item, with the thermostat next, and the switch almost never.