Re: [A/S] Tekonsha Brake Controllers

Harvey,
I have gone through all the troubles you just covered with the pendulum
type controllers, and remember how smooth the old hydraulic tap system
could be. I also pull a 34' Limited, and started out with the trailer
and new GMC truck with a Draw Tite controller that was the latest and
greatest in pendulum controllers. I could never get it set to my
satisfaction between open road, city, morning, and afternoon conditions.
I took the advice of someone on this list and ordered a "Jordan
Research" "Ultima 2020" controller. It is controlled by a cable attached
to the brake peddle arm to start applying brake voltage as soon as you
start to move the peddle, and the more you move the peddle the more
voltage gets applied to the trailer brakes. The unit has a readout of
the Amps of current applied to the trailer brakes. The amount is
dependent on the number of brakes (number of wheels)  you have on your
trailer. I found this can be used to check to see if all your brakes are
working. I hit a rock or something up in Maine and cut one of my brake
wires. I could not tell any change in the stopping, but noticed the
readout on the controller had a smaller number (5 brakes instead of 6).
This prompted me to check, and found the fresh cut on the wire going to
the left front wheel. They should ship this controller with wings,
because it is an angle in disguise. It is just as smooth as the old
hydraulic unit I had several years ago while towing a 32 foot SOB for
years. I put the unit on and went through a 10 minute setup, requires
about 3 or 4 stops in a big parking lot, and have not touched it sense.
I have completed two trips totaling about 4000 miles with the unit
without any adjustments. Stops are perfectly smooth, with no noise or
clunking as the hitch goes in and out of tension/compression during
stops. I now feel safe in any kind of stop. I did not feel that way at
all with the other controller. My wife had even said she really did not
enjoy going through a city where I had to do lots of stops, because she
did not feel like I had total control of the rig when it came stopping
time.
Enough of my soap boxing for this month, maybe year, but if your are
interested in more info on the Jordan Research unit you can call them at
1-800-533-0306.
I ordered my unit over the phone for $129.95 I think-$135.00 with
shipping.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624