Re: [A/S] Excella/Safari Comparison

Bob,

I won't be so bold as to claim that I "know for sure" but I'll share with
you what I learned in several factory tours and by comparing my Excella to
an old buddy's late model Safari.

According to what I observed on the assembly line and what I was told by A/S
employees, the running gear, chassis, frame, and shell, are identical.  The
various add-on equipment varies significantly.

Changes may have been made recently but around '98 - '99 Excellas used oak
cabinetry, aluminum LPG bottles, the $700 aluminum folding entry step,
better quality windows, an electric tongue jack, better quality upholstery
and carpet, ZipDee awnings, ranges with ovens, and more and better comfort
and convenience items such as an outside faucet, trunk compartment lighting,
etc.  Safaris use laminated cabinetry, steel LPG bottles, generic RV
industry steel entry steps, lesser cost/quality upholstery and carpet, ditto
windows, awnings, and other features.  My list is not complete and may not
be precisely accurate, but it should give you a basic understanding.

Safaris are cheaper to buy, lighter to tow, and are good quality
RVs........better than the competition in my opinion.  I suggest you sit in
each with your wife for an hour pretending you are isolated from home
spending the week in the trailer.  Look around and notice all the obvious
quality, comfort and convenience items, make notes, and compare each.

It is a personal choice that only you can make for your best interests,  My
personal recommendation (only what is right for me) would be to decide on a
size, then buy a late model used Excella rather than a new Safari, or an
Excella that is older than the Safari if you are comparing used in both
lines.  If you are biased toward economy of purchase, towing, and use, maybe
the Safari would be right for you.  Both are excellent values for the money,
in my opinion.

My information is worth exactly what you paid for it.  Feel free to reject
it absolutely.  Good luck in your A/S purchase.  You have already selected
the best brand.

Harvey Barlow
WBCCI 1171, WDCU, VAC
and a couple of A/Ss