[A/S] Cost of Camping

Hi Rich Walbridge,

1 - Yes, there are many campgrounds associated with clubs, but more commonly, there are RV Resort
Membership Systems. Each of these provide access to 200 to 500+ RV resorts around the continent. We
know of at least a dozen such systems. There can be a profound variation in the cost of joining a
membership system. Obtaining a "good deal" is an art form all by itself. Anyone may subscribe to as
many systems as they wish. For starters, here are three websites.

http://www.campsave50percent.com
http://www.resortparks.com
http://www.camperclubs.com

2 - While you're at it, consider the wider range of choices available to any RVer - like: village
parks, town parks, city parks, municipal parks, county parks, regional parks, state parks, state
forests, state recreation areas, national park service parks, national forests, bureau of land
management areas, corps of engineers parks, river authority parks, airstream parks, escapees club
parks, lumber company parks, electric company parks, gas company parks, national wildlife refuge
areas, parkway RV areas, bridge tunnel authority parking, truck stops, river ferry parking areas,
visitor center parking areas, turnpike authority RV parking areas, courtesy parking, various
businesses like Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Stuckeys, etc and the ever changing and bi-monthly
additions to the Day's End listing in the Escapees magazine.

Are they plentiful with good locations? That depends on you and where you're going. For us, there
are more choices than we can possibly use in our lifetimes. There are over 900 campgrounds operated
by the Corps of Engineers alone and they are among the most attractive campgrounds in the nation, in
my opinion.

1 - As for cost, we kept track (1257 overnights) for several years of staying at each campground for
no more than one week at a time. The average cost per night was $6.27. This included every penny we
ever spent associated with belonging to the RV Resort Membership System.

2 - The wider range of choices averaged out to $6.92 per night. It would have been lower if we
hadn't lumped all WBCCI rallies and caravan overnight costs into that category.

During the first four months of this year's compiled data, the average is staying around $3-4 per
night because we're in the southwest where costs are less, because we've stayed a month at two
different campgrounds and have used BLM land in Yuma (no fee areas) and the Slabs in CA (no fee).

After 11 years of snowbirding for 8-9 months a year, we have proven to ourselves we can live
comfortably and luxuriously on $1,000 a month - in a large, well appointed Vintage Airstream,
enjoying some of the most spectacular surroundings on this continent and experiencing what is for
us, an exciting and adventuresome lifestyle.

Rich, this reply may be out in left field relative to your direct question, but it's one of the ball
park considerations. Hopefully, you can use something from it.

Terry
1977 31' Airstream Excella
1978 Ford E-250 Van
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net