Re: [A/S] Need info on 2 meter radio for RV

I'll post my response to the List in case others might be interested.

If you're going to use a 2-meter radio, you'll need an Amateur Radio
license. It's not a big deal, but you must take the FCC exams to get
one.  They're not hard, and you can find study materials at Radio Shack,
and information online at http://www.arrl.org

Range is dependent on atmospheric conditions, and really isn't much
better than CB. You're only looking at about 5W max output for a
handheld, but there are thousands of FM repeaters around the nation that
will help quite a bit.  The biggest advantage is that you don't have to
put up with the garbage you hear on CB, and you have much more
flexibility in choice of frequencies.

It's so easy to get a license now that I think all 'Streamers (and other
RV'ers) should go to that and get off of CB.  I haven't read the article
in Trailer Life, but I think I recall a similar article in the Good Sam
magazine.  It's the only way to go.

Good used 2-meter setups can be found at most amateur radio "hamfests",
which are held frequently all over the country.  For your purposes, even
the Radio Shack rigs are OK.

I realize this has been pretty non-specific, but there is just too much
info to pass on in a simple reply.  Ask around your local amateur radio
store and you'll get much more, or see if you can find someone in a ham
radio club near you.  Unless you live in a really small town, you're
sure to find one.

Good luck....Roger
AR call N7KT