Re: [A/S] Belly Pan!

FWIW:
 I found the 'A' frame on my '68 G.T. to have significant rust INSIDE, I
believe due to the lighting cable running inside, channeling water into the
closed box section. I found it by drilling for new mounting holes for the
anti-sway bar ball mount.

We cut off the 'A' frame in front of the trailer body and determined that
the frame was good from there -> back, so fabbed & installed a new 'A' frame
and hitch. We also dropped the front several feet of the bellypan, back to
the first cross member, so we could inspect the frame; we found it to have
only surface rust, nothing severe.

It wouldn't surprise me to find a LOT of A/S trailers with rust inside the
'A' frame. Last year, a lady on the Vintage List posted a trip report,
telling (with pictures) of the breakage of their trailer's 'A' frame. The
breakage brought on 2 repairs, one in the field, the other by Jim Weston in
his shop.

                                                      <<Jim>>