[A/S] More towing stuff and a question

I've got a 1972 20' Argosy, gross weight 4500 pounds, that I tow with a 3/4
ton '90 Suburban.  I've towed both with and without the equalizing bars.
With load range E tires (8 plies?) on the Suburban and D-range tires on the
Argosy, it towed without swaying.  It squatted badly, though, and the ride
was what you'd expect - choppy.  That was with a full week's camping load (5
of us) and full freshwater tank.  I balanced the load as well as I could,
trying to get some of the weight off the tongue.  I towed without the bars
cuz the trailer came without the hitch (*sigh* Had to buy the $200+ hitch).

With the bars, things are much different, as you'd expect.  I've read up on
the adjustments and done my best, though without the guidance of an
experienced mechanic.  It's taken me a few weeks of tweaking to come up with
something that's close.  It's pretty close to level and rides just fine,
thankyouverymuch.  There's a LOT of pressure on the bars, and that brings up
my question.

The Suburban, being 3/4 ton, has heavy suspension, obviously.  Trying to get
the ass-end of the truck up and the nose down  is taking a lot of grunting
and struggling with the bars.  They do lock into place, and I'm not afraid
of 'em, but how much pressure on the bars is too much?  As I said, the truck
is close to level, but not quite there.  What I've got at this point, is a
matching down-angle on the trailer to match the up-angle on the truck, and
honestly, it's not more than a degree or two - MUCH better than without the
bars - and I'm not discontent, but according to the list, I'm supposed to be
able to get the dang things level.

Thanks in advance, if anybody has answers.  Personally, I think that if the
truck was 1/2 ton, I'd be level...just trying to get that front end (of the
truck) to go down (commensurately with the back end going up to level) is
killing me, and I'm attributing the difficulty to the 3/4 ton suspension.