RE: [A/S] Air Conditioners and Awnings...your thoughts?

John,
I believe that DuoTherm is the make that Airstream uses. I believe that this
make is used because it is the only one that can be used with a drip pan
that will allow the condesate to drip down a tube that runs between the
walls then through the belly pan onto the ground. DuoTherm is what I have,
it works OK. All other makes will have the condisate running down the side
of the trailer. Either way I don't think it makes a great difference. I have
seen 2 1960 Overlanders with air conditioning. One had the unit mounted in
the center vent. Mine has it mounted between the center and rear vent at the
kitchen/bedroom border so that the whole trailer gets cooled when the
bedroom door is shut. I do not know if any aditional reinforcing was done
when the unit was installed, but it has been there for over 25 years now
with no structural problems. In 1960 Airstreams were NOT prewired for A/C.
Perhaps Charlie Burke can offer you more insight.

Awnings... I believe that the only company that currently makes awnings to
fit pre '67 Airstreams is Zip Dee.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander