Re: [A/S] keep old A/C or Replace

Hunter,
 You're "almost" right. Yes, you will ruin an A/C if you run it with too low
VOLTAGE. That condition comes from too-light wiring, not the type of plug
that you connect to.

A modern home with #12 wiring to the outlets will likely provide sufficient
current to keep voltage drop to a minium, even with the A/C running. If I
plug my trailer in at home, it's to a 20-amp circuit in my genshed that's
fed with about 80' of #12 wire from the panel. When I turn on the A/C, the
voltage drops from above 120 to maybe 115 *in the trailer*; the unit starts
right up, no laboring or anything. Remember that an A/C draws less than 15
amps, even the old ones.

So.... It's no problem plugging your 30-amp cord into a 20-amp receptacle
with your handy-dandy adaptor, if the outlet or service isn't otherwise
overloaded. IE: you're at home, the wiring in the house is good, and you're
not trying to make coffee in the trailer while the A/C is running.

Conversely, the simple fact that you're plugged into a regular 30-amp RV
receptacle is NO guarantee that you have sufficient voltage at your rig.
Many campgrounds have too-light wiring, with too many rigs with A/Cs pulling
on the juice supply. It is very, very expensive to install adequat wiring,
and it isn't always done.

It is imperative that you use one of those $15.00 meters from Radio Shack,
Camping World, et. al. to test the voltage in your rig, WHILE the A/C is
running. You could have a full 120VAC until you energize the A/C, then see
it dip to 105 volts or less. I'd be very hesitant to operate an A/C if the
voltage didn't stay above 110 when it is running. At 105 volts, my A/C would
remain "off". As you can see in
http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/avion/sep01_07.jpg, I included a
permanet meter in my control panel.

<<Jim>>