[A/S] (10/31/00) Yuma, AZ

Hi Airstreamers,

Yesterday on impulse, we took the Ajo Scenic Loop from the Darby Wells Road off SR 85 south of town
for a 10 mile drive into the heart of the Sonoran desert. Lo and behold, it went through portions of
BLM land where more than a dozen boondocking camping areas are easily recognized and reachable.
These are the places RVers have been telling us about for the last several years.

This morning, on the way out of Ajo, a stop at the Chamber of Commerce (Ajo, AZ 85321) office struck
paydirt. They have the "Arizona Recreation & Historic Sites Map - Campgrounds & Facilities on State,
Federal & Tribal Lands." This one map has more detail about campgrounds operated by the Bureau of
Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Forest Service, Najajo Nation and
US Fish & Wildlife Service than any other single Arizona document we've found. And, even this map
doesn't include all the locations available to those who search with persistence. If you'd like a
copy, it could be worth sending a note to them with an SASE.

This afternoon (150 miles later), we rolled into Yuma Lakes RV Park and noticed four boondocking
areas along the way. (SR 95 to 7E street to CR6). We'll check out which agency has jurisdiction over
them later this week. Yuma Lakes is a Resort Parks International Campground ($5 a night for RPI
members). We find membership parks convenient for refreshing all systems after boondocking. Internet
access costs $1 for 15 minutes. Cheeezz. Halloween tonight and we saw our first Monica pumpkin.
Gads!!

Terry
'77 31' Excella 500
mailto:Tylerbears@airstream.net