[A/S] (10/27/00) Ajo, AZ

Hi Fellow Vintage Owners,

Today's destination was Ajo, AZ - all of 10 miles from last night at Why, AZ. One of the reasons we
came here is because of a standing  invitation to all Escapees members for courtesy parking from
Joanie Huff. For years, her offer has been published in the Escapees magazine. During our last visit
five years ago, she encouraged us to tell everyone we knew how much she enjoyed having RVers stop
by. Water is available to those who need it, otherwise, it's boondocking.

Directions: Ajo is 43 miles south of Gila Bend, AZ. To find their place in Ajo, proceed south
through town and follow the signs to the high school. If coming north from Why, AZ there is a sign
on the outskirts of town pointing to the right toward the high school and golf course. Their house
is on the same side of the street as the high school and at the first street (Arroyo) after the high
school. There is an Escapees decal up near the peak of the roof on the side of the house facing the
street. Courtesy parking is on a gravel 1/2 acre of land along the fence between the house and the
street. It's evident when you see it.

Joanie has said if she isn't home, park along the fence and leave a note at the back porch. If
she is home, park and come get your hug. Today (Saturday 10/18/00), we got our hug.

Why do we stop here? In addition to the Hospitable Huffs, this town has one of the most attractive
plazas we've ever seen. It is Spanish architecture at its best. To us, this is a charming town
situation deep in the Sonoran desert. The humidity is low, there is year round blue sky and pure
air. The water tastes good. The old spanish style plaza is ideal for a leisurely stroll and casual
shopping within the arched walkways. Stores include post office, library, grocery, real estate, ice
cream shop, Copper Kettle Restaurant and more.

For those passing through, there is RV parking (immediately after crossing the railroad tracks)
directly behind the plaza (see signs for RV parking) with convenient access to the plaza. This is an
ideal place for having mail sent to General Delivery, Ajo, AZ 85321. Mail can be read on park
benches in the comfort of the grassy town plaza.

There is a Community Center across town with an active sports program for residents of all ages,
including a brand new olympic size swimming pool. Within walking distance of the Center are homes
with accomodations for all description of RVs. As with many communities, more and more of the
Snowbirds settle in and stay longer each consecutive year, until they eventually live here full time
and use their RV just for exploration trips around the southwest and into Mexico. This is a
multi-generational community with a wide range of cultural backgrounds.

We looked at a remodeled 1980s 2 bedroom home with southwest arches around the front entrance and
rear entertainmnet areas, with central air, a large separate utility room, garage with workshop and
1/2 bath, covered car port and covered RV port on a fully fenced lot. The house was immaculate, the
grounds were professionally landscaped with desert cacti and bougainvilla, including out to the curb
on both sides of the corner lot and was listed at $90,000. We aren't residents of this town, nor do
we have an financial interests in this area. This information is written only for the purpose of
sharing our experience.

We even know of an excellent mechanic in this town, but that's another story.

Terry
'77 31' Excella 500
mailto:Tylerbears@airstream.net