Re: [A/S] screen door latch

My former '65 Caravel had this type of bolt, which was slightly bent and
hard to slide.  I straightened it out so that it slid very easily, but this
was a mistake.  I stopped at a rest area to sleep overnight, and the door
wouldn't open.  The vibration from driving had caused the screen door bolt
to latch (onto the door frame), and the screen door was also firmly latched
to the outside door, keeping it from opening.  I slept in the van that
night.  Luckily, when I got home the next day, the vibration from driving
had unbolted the screen door, and I immediately removed the bolt.

My Avion has a firm catch holding the screen door to the outer door, but
only a friction catch to hold the screen door to the jamb, so there's no
risk of this happening.   I don't remember how the Caravel screen door
locked to the outer door, but replacing either one of the two catches with a
friction catch would solve the problem.  (Note that this applies to the full
screen door, not the "door within a door" style on older models).

Anyway, something to think about if you've got a bolt on the screen door.

Don