Re: [A/S] Speaker covers

Re: question on towing.
Al , don't sweat the towing. It looks a lot more difficult and
intimidating than it is. If you've driven a school bus, then it should
be a breeze.
When we picked up our A/S this spring after the dealer prepped it, my
wife and I took it to  a nice big parking lot and practised backing up
with it and trying to put it between two boxes without jamming them
under the trailer. We bought a cheap pair of walkie talkies and she
talked me back into the parking space. Hmmn. This is easier than I
thought, thought I.
We came home and found that our driveway which is about 40' long and two
car widths wide, now had a road construction sign, a couple of saw
horses  in large black and orange stripes, facing it on the other side
of the road. There was a nice hole in the pavement about 20' long and
10' wide just off the one side of the driveway. I got out, moved the saw
horses, and the Darling Girl called out the things it would be a good
idea not to hit, as I backed up. Got the trailer in the driveway without
hitting the saw horses, signs, tree on the far side and hedge on the
near side, with room to park cars beside the trailer and open the step.
That was on the first try.
My neighbour, who loves to comment on things, sat on his porch with his
mouth open. I got out, did the Gretsky shuffle and grinned at him. Damn
I'm good.
I guess the thing I'm trying to say, is get some one to swamp for you
with a set of walkie talkies ( or as we call them squawkies). I clip
mine to the window. Move slowly and be prepared to stop on command.
Remember to stop before you back inot the house.
The driving foreward has one really tricky thing to remember. Your tow
vehicle and the trailer do not  turn on the same circle. The trailer
comes around on a slightly flatter circle than the tow vehicle. Again,
when I went to the parking lot to practise, I did "do-nuts" and watched
where the tandems on the trailer went as compared to the wheels of the
tow vehicle. (Drive through a puddle and watch the tire marks). If you
are in a tight turn, with objects on the inside of the turn, you must
give clearance to get the trailer wide enough to avoid hanging up on the
inside of the turn. The best place to do something like that is at a
rally where everyone is watching. Oh yeh!
Finally, no matter what you are towing with, it takes longer in time and
distance to get up to speed and to stop. The best advice I got was on
the RV discussion group. Think of yourself as a trucker with a 60'
trailer behind you and then add a little extra.
Bon chance.

--

                  John P Sargeant