Re: [A/S] Re: Rollover in SUVs, pickups and Suburbans

Those who said "practice" are dead on.....practice as much as you can.
If you live in a midwestern state where there are farm roads, you've got
a near ideal practice ground.

Years ago, when my Dad was teaching me to drive, we used County roads.
Unimproved, graveled surfaces with lots of ruts, etc.  He taught me how
to skid and recover, swerve with a trailer (only a utility trailer,
though), induce a jacknife and recover from that, and back a trailer to
reverse directions on a narrow roadway.
The vehicle was a 1934 Ford, manual transmission and mechanical brakes.

None of those things were on the driving test, of course, but his idea
was to prepare me for most anything.

So far it's paid off.  I've not had a problem that I couldn't get out
of, and still hunt down an isolated dirt or gravel road to play around
on.  I taught my daughters the same things, and I'm sure it saved one of
them from serious injury or worse when her Jeep went sideways on her.

Practice.  But do it moderately until you get the feel of things.
--
Roger Hightower
1975 31' Sovereign....WBCCI 4165....VAC