[A/S] towing tires and their rotation

Regarding the thread on Explorers and tire problems I'd second Gary
Quamen's point about not reversing the direction of a tire: that was
a very interesting take on the current controversy over Ford and
their tire suppliers.

A bigger issue is that buying a Ford Explorer SUV is one thing.
Expecting it to tow large heavy objects without any modification is
another. I'm not an Explorer fan personally but if I were to use one
for towing I'd definitely put the best 'D' grade tires I could find
on it (if not all round then definitely at the back).

For towing with any vehicle this is cheap insurance - without being
melodromatic yuor life depends on those tires and you need something
that is more than capable.

Regardless of the marketing spiel of all the big car companies, they
know most SUV's and trucks are never used for anything more arduous
than a trip to the mall. Take a look on a building site and see what
those guys are using - and notice their tires!
You're far better off pulling with something older and beefier than
you are with something shiny with great advertising...

--
Oliver Marks
RPM Interactive, Inc