[A/S] Electric Brakes & Controllers

I Have been following the discussion of controllers with great interest, as
I need to choose & install one on our vehicle. One item I did glean from a
website somewhere that made sense & might be helpful, was to be sure the
trailer brakes are properly adjusted. (If that was posted here I apologize,
I have been reading a ton of them) Inproperly adjusted brake would logically
account for the grabbing & "twitchyness" some folks have been experiencing.
I don't know if trailer brakes are "self adjusting" as are recent autos, (
somehow that doesn't seem feasable as a car adjusts its brakes in reverse)
so it would seem that brake adjustment would be the prudent course of action
before fighting the good fight with the controller.
      Which brings me to my question, can anyone either advise me or steer
me to the information on checking out & adjusting brakes. We just bought a
'68 Caravel and while I have worked on a lot of automotive brakes, I am not
familiar with the electric, and I would like to check mine out thoroughly as
part of preparing for a shake down cruise. I plan to visit the library to
look for manuals , but I would love to get somthing specific to Air Streams.
                     Thanks and Happy Trails, James Hall