Re: [A/S] Inspection tips for '60 Overlander?

Hi Terry O'Neill,

Suggestion!

Carry with you - a shirt pocket size screw driver and a flash light. Use the screw driver to probe
along the floor edges at the walls (under the carpet, too), around the entry and outside compartment
doors and definitely under all the windows. Because this will probably be "hands and knees" time,
it'll be a good idea to alert the seller to why you are doing this, i.e. "I want to be confident I
understand the strengths and weaknesses BEFORE I buy it" or something to calm them.

If you use graph paper that lists of ALL the items you want to check, your clipboard can ease the
conversation while you are being systematic. It wouldn't hurt to have an estimated $ amount to
repair or fix a problem, next to each item, before you arrive on the scene.

You want to be realistic when it comes to dickering. If you feel the need to "buy time" and not do
the math in your head before making an offer, then bring a calculator and ask "to have a moment
while I collect my thoughts and evaluate what I've seen. Then, I'd like to make what I hope you will
feel is a fair offer."

Please don't be offended by these suggestions. I have no intention of talking down to you. The name
of the game is to be successful. I've seen too many blunders that could easily have been avoided by
a little thought beforehand and some simple preparation. Most of us don't buy antiques on a regular
basis and like a lot of things, it takes some planning.

Good luck,

Terry