Re: [A/S] towing with a big rig

Regarding the trans, depends on the set up - with a 10 speed split when bobtailing never used the lower gears.

When bobtailing from the shop to the race track to pick up a trailer I would race our mechanic - beat him all the time off the line at a stop light.  Of course was using 318 Detroit that was bored out and was in a logging truck in a prior life.

Pulling an empty trailer usualy skipped a lot of the gears.  A fulling load Airstream would not be that much of weight factor compared to 80,000-100,000 lbs.