[A/S] Converter Charger

Pat writes: Gil and I are still struggling with our '78
International.  The heat here in Texas has made it just about
impossible to get much done.  Hopefully that will change during
October.  We have our problem with refrigerator/pumps narrowed down
to the converter charger.  We blamed some of our problem on the heat
thinking heat was activating a thermostat and shutting the power
down.  Yesterday we pulled the univolt out, sat it on a ledge with a
fan blowing directly on it to keep it cool and everything was on the
fridge and the pump.  That did not help at all, it still shut down
after about 15 minutes.  Gil doesn't think it is the capacitor but
does think the thermostat is not functioning properly.  Does anyone
ever work on these converters?  Gil is very knowledgeable about
anything electrical but our Airstream just says to remove and send to
the factory.  Or would the best path be to purchase a new one?  The
models I have pulled up on the internet seem to have more AMP power
than our Magneteck (120 Volt 6HZ 7.25 AMPS 12.0 Volts DC (then it
says in prens 40 AMPS total).  By the way this is not the original
Converter because it has been spliced in.  Would our wiring in the
trailer handle a higher AMP rating?  I am no electronic guru so I
hope these questions make sense.  Thanks in advance for any
suggestions about the wiring.  Pbran@aol.com