Re: [A/S] Adding power boosting chips to Ford Power Stroke Diesel

Spencer,
If you buy that Ford Diesel, you might want to try it "stock" before
trying hop-up stuff. Hop-ups might be nice if you're pulling in the
mountains all the time and/or are overloading the truck. Its
factory-rated towing capacity should be well in excess of what an A/S
weighs.

FWIW: I just bought a '94 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins T.D. and have been doing
a bit of research. (very preliminary, I don't take delivery of the truck
until Friday) I've found that all sorts of hotrod stuff is available for
that truck, but one thing leads to another. After hopping up the engine,
you need to install modifications in the transmission. Then, you need
exhaust pyrometers, trans temp guages, boost guages, etc. A larger trans
cooler might be necessary.

There's also no doubt that such modifications will lead to a shorter
life. Think of it this way: an engine is good for burning so many
gallons of fuel or delivering so many horsepower-hours. Hop it up and
you get more fuel burned and more horsepower, so the hours of use just
about HAVE to go down.

If you truly need the added performance, go for it, but be aware that it
requires some study.

                                   <<Jim>>