[A/S] Re: vent pipe, frig and range vent covers

Hi Phil & Steve:

I just went through all of this.  Although everything you say is
true,
I took a little bit different approach.

After getting the new aluminum vent cover that was 28" long rather
than 24" and doing some serious thinking about how this was going to
work, it occurred to me that:

1.  The new cover was only 2" longer on each end.  Insignificant.

2.  There was no way I could match the existing rivet holes anyway.

3.  The longer cover would allow me to grind off the original rivets
close to flush with the skin (they are bucked and very tight in the
holes).

4.  The increased length allowed the new holes to be drilled 2" away
from the existing ones. About the width of the mounting flange.

5.  The existing holes are hidden under the ends of the new cover.

This made this job MUCH simpler.  I don't even notice the extra
length
and the cover looks terrific without a seam in it (IMHO).  Picture to
anybody that wants one.

GQ '67 Safari

PS:  Kudos to Hunter H.