The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] FW: [VAC] Diesel Engines

Here is a repeat of a message I sent yesterday, which seems to have fallen off the wire ..... anyway, it never made it through.

     I think it depends on hot it is.  The recommendation is to let the exhaust gas temperature cool down to 300 degrees.  I don't do that, but I will let it idle if the temperature is above about 400 degrees.  Under normal running conditions, it will only be about 400-500 degrees.
     Of course, you need a pyrometer in order to tell just how hot it is.  The regular engine temperature gauge doesn't move much at all, despite the differences in exhaust gas temperature.
-Tom

mailto:tom@tompatterson.com
Website: http://www.tompatterson.com