The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Tows Number Two and Three (much better!)

Well, we went, we stayed, we came back. Without any towing incidents
whatsoever.

It's about 12 miles from our house (Ione, CA) to where we stayed
(Plymouth, CA), largely uphill on the way up and down on the way back. I
did do two things different this time in towing; one was to clean the
contacts on the trailer cable (at the truck side). The brakes now work,
as well as the controller; this made a big difference. On the downhill
sections, maxing out the truck brakes wiped the sway out altogether.

And another way to check on the brakes and controller is to head up hill
with the controller maxed, and then release it and see if it makes a
difference (it did).

I also refused tempation (see what being closer to God can do for you?)
and refused to go any faster than 45. To those motorists behind me,
sorry--it's better for all of this this way.

I'm not used to the limited visibility with the trailer behind me. And
the truck (better known as Milky White from "In To The Woods") doesn't
like long uphill pulls; it started to get a bit warm (but not
unmanageable). We did the uphill grades at about 35 without dropping into
second.

Mary Ellen had a motor home before we married, and bought this; this was
my first weekend out RV'ing ever. It's a big step up from regular
camping. Showers, cable TV, comfortable bed, air conditioning, swimming
pools, jacuzzi, I could get used to this very quickly...

It was also our first "trial run" with the trailer. We only have four
problems that have to be investigated further.

#1. We found the gas valve for the hot water heater (thanks for the help,
everybody!). When the heater is running, there's a drip underneath the
trailer.

#2: Worse yet, the bathroom carpet gets very wet. It's not black water,
and has no smell, but the carpet was soaking by the time we got back. I
guess the plumbing needs to be looked at back there. Anyone else have
this problem?

#3: The A/C either needs charging or replacement. We get about 80 minutes
off it before it throws the internal circuit breaker. My suspicion is
that enough of the freon has leached out to produce cavitation in the
pump motor, and a higher current draw.

#4: For some strange reason, the water has a very strange color and smell
to it; Mary Ellen described it as being like apple cider. I figre it's
going to take a couple of dumps/flushes to try to get it out.

That, and I saw and like those support thingies for the dump hose; much
better than having to "milk it" before leaving.

Other than that, a great time! We can't wait to do it again. Thanks to
everyone for their posts!

Warren & Mary Ellen
nf1j@juno.com
1977 Sovreign '32