The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] polish

Eric, I'd leave the non-functioning Air
Conditioning unit in place but first remove
the shroud and clean out all of the debris
you will find inside.  There should be a pan under the guts of the A/C
if it has not
rusted out.  I would recommend painting it
(whatever is left) with KoolSeal to plug up
the holes in it, be sure the drain opening is clear and that water in
the pan drains.
There is a tube which runs from the pan
to the underside of the trailer to take care of the rain-water run-off.
Pray that it is
intact.  The purpose of all of this is (1) to
help assure that rain water collecting in the pan does not leak in the
trailer, and
(2) to prevent the water from running down the sides of your someday to
be
nice, shiny Airstream.  One more difficult
remedy (and expensive, but maybe worth it) would be to replace the pan
if you can
get or have one made.  You would have to first remove the A/C to do
that.  Work!
To my recollection, this is the first time
anyone has raised the question; usually
the A/C is replaced and you may, in fact,
find this to be the best action in the long
run.  Gives you something to think about,
as if you did not have enough!

Donald @ Port O'Call, Melbourne, FL
kribbs4ASNET@webtv.net